Dating back to 1926, the Sarasota Yacht Club offers a high-profile waterfront location that is inviting to members and tropical storms alike. The club’s new 22,000 square foot building is built up and replaces an on-grade structure that frequently bore the brunt of storms.
The new roof is built to Florida Building Code negative wind uplift pressures of 130 MPH per the construction drawings and utilizes 23,000 square feet of .040-inch aluminum Pac-Clad Tite-Loc Plus panels from Petersen Aluminum. The 16-inch wide aluminum panels were finished in Cool Color Silver.
The two-story building presents a striking presence on the Sarasota waterfront when passing over the John Ringling Bridge or from nearby St. Armand’s Key.
Architectural design was provided by DSDG, Inc., Sarasota, Fla. The main structure is clearly plantation style but the architectural style is modern. “’Coastal contemporary’ is a phrase the club gave us to model our design from,” says Tom Denslow, principal at DSDG.
Installation of the Petersen metal roof was done by All Steel Consultants, Inc., Palmetto, Fla. “Given the high visibility of the building as well as the roof, the metal decking had to be near-perfect in order to get the best results from the aluminum panels,” according to Ralph George, president. “Fortunately, we had a local GC that paid close attention to details. Consequently, the roof looks wonderful and, of course, the aluminum is ideal for the coastal application. We even used stainless steel clips and fasteners since the building is right on the water. It’s really a pretty roof!”
The general contractor on the project was Tandem Construction, Sarasota, Fla.
Long-recognized as an industry leader in metal standing seam roofing products, Petersen also offers exposed fastener panels, flush panels, composite wall panels and column covers. All provide the well-known Petersen quality and are available in Pac-Clad PVDF finish in 37 standard colors on steel and aluminum. Most colors meet LEED®, Energy Star and cool roof certification requirements.
For more information on the complete line of Petersen metal products, call 800-PAC-CLAD or visit www.pac-clad.com.
- Englert unveils major solar PV rooftop powering manufacturing, corporate headquarters
- Metal vs. Mother Nature (Fire)
- FRSA show concentrates more value in fewer days
- Western Roofing Expo returns to Reno
- Arhitectural Testing moves into larger facility
- Kalzip forms a welcoming wave at Oklahoma University Children’s Hospital
- An argument for fully engineered post-frame buildings
- Product Profile: Ventilation
- Icon offers hydraulic overhead doors
- Midwest Roofing Contractors Association presents industry awards
- Free webinar: Beyond lead generation — developing leads that turn into sales in 2012
- Post frame with panache: Working with architects