Presenting the 2010 Gold Key of Excellence Awards to 42 companies in the industry continues a tradition begun in 1983. That July, the award was given for the first time to 27 suppliers in recognition of what Frank Lessiter, then the editor/publisher of Rural Builder, termed their success in “maintaining a high level of professionalism” in serving the industry.
Lessiter’s hope that the award would continue over the years — as well as his belief that excellence is known by the company it keeps — was a prophecy fulfilled.
Then, as now, the awards are determined by reader nominations and designed to honor those companies that do the best job in meeting the product and service needs of their customers. All of the winners were invited to tell their companies’ stories, which are placed next to their ads.
Five companies — Fabral, Cannonball:HNP, Klauer, McElroy Metal and Plyco — were on that first list in 1983 and have never missed a year. That, in itself, is an honor!
Several others have nearly perfect records, amassing more than 20 wins in the 28-year history of the award. Proudly claiming 27 Gold Keys are Metal Sales, Maze and Wick.
American Building Components (ABC), Sukup and Wheeling Corrugating are receiving their 26th, with AJ Manufacturing and Dynamic Fastener not far behind at 24 and 22, respectively.
New to the winners circle are Richland Laminated Columns and Levi’s Nails and Screws. Welcome and congratulations!
Voters were asked to evaluate their supplier companies based on:
• Product quality • Within budget
• Warranty procedures • On-time delivery
• Customer service • “No surprises” service
In the words of voters who selected the winners:
• “Meets all the criteria and more”
• “These suppliers are part of our quality, resulting in growth”
• “Budget pricing and good stock” • “Great products and warranties”
• “Superior delivery and great quality • “Super customer satisfaction”
• “Always on time, fun to work with, excellence in service”
• “Dependable, great products and great service”
• “Best steel on the market” • “Outstanding staff to work with”
• “Does a good job for my business” Excellence is the ‘gold’ standard
There’s no doubt about it. Within the companies that deserve this honor, excellence is a way of life, a way of doing business. It’s a hallmark of a company’s culture and it is only measured over the long run.
Rural Builder salutes the 2010 keyholders and wishes them continued success.
American Building Components
Becker Specialty Corporation
Central States Manufacturing
Classic Equine Equipment
DECRA Roofing Systems
Energy Panel Structures (EPS)
Everlast Roofing, Inc,
Graber Post Buildings
Ideal Building Fasteners
Klauer Manufacturing Co.
Levi’s Nails & Screws
Mac Metal Sales
Metal Sales Manufacturing
Northwestern Ohio Foam (NOFP)
North Star Metals Mfg.
Richland Laminated Columns (e-mail link)
Semmler Systems Inc.
Triangle Fastener Corporation
Western Products of Indiana